Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Oleana

          My friend and I went to Oleana the other night, and it was the first time for both of us. Everything looked so good that we asked for the bartender's recommendation. He suggested we share the four course vegetarian tasting menu ($40) and order a couple of extra courses. I'm not vegetarian, and it's only been recently that restaurants like Oleana have helped me appreciate the "genre". It's dishes like these that make me think (albeit briefly) that I actually could become vegetarian.

          We started with a basket of fresh bread served with whipped feta with sweet and hot peppers. The peppers were actually whipped into the feta, so you got the combination of all three flavors in every bite.
Whipped Feta with Sweet & Hot Peppers

        
          Next was the asparagus grilled perfectly, and served with a corn and cheese fondue, black garlic, and honey. The addition of popcorn on top added a nice crunchy texture.
Asparagus, Toasted Corn Fondue & Black Garlic Honey
          The spinach falafel was my favorite dish, these were served on top of two open faced pieces of lavash with yogurt sauce, pickles, and beets. We rolled ours up and ate them like mini sandwiches.

Spinach falafel with tahini, yogurt, beets, and crinkled cress
          The next dish was another favorite and one of the most creative - chickpea terrine with apricot, pistachio and tahini sauce. It was similar to a hummus, but much lighter and creamier. 
Chickpea Terrine— Apricot, Pistachio & Tahini Sauce
          The spring pea salad was one of the lightest options, and full of bright fresh flavors. It was a perfect spring dish!

Spring Pea Salad with pickled sunchoke and almond crumbs

          The Turkish cheese pancake was probably the most universally appealing, and would be a great dish for non-vegetarians or less adventurous eaters. How can you go wrong with warm cheese baked inside Phyllo dough??

Turkish cheese pancake with Za'atar

           The next dish felt like one of the most creative - maybe because I hadn't heard of fideos before this - but they were crispy fried noodles with a little bit of a kick. 
Spicy Fideos, Chick Peas, Swiss Chard & Orange Aioli
          I was too full to eat more than a bite of the tart, but the strawberry drink was perfect after such a filling meal!


Rhubarb fennel sharbat, white chocolate tart, roasted strawberries

          I enjoyed everything I tried at Oleana and would definitely go back. The $40 tasting menu may be the best value for a tasting menu in Boston. It was advertised as four courses, but there were more like 5-6. Although it's designed for one, there was enough food for two to share!

Oleana on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore Oleana! I don't think I've ever had their tasting menu, though - sounds like I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely check it out! It is a ton of food, and all amazing!

      Delete