Monday, May 26, 2014

Duck Fat, Portland Maine

          This weekend on Memorial Day, the bf and I headed up to Portland for the day. We decided to try Duckfat, a casual sandwich shop that came highly recommended by a couple of different people. Aside from amazing sounding paninis like pork belly and duck confit, they specialize in duck fat fried fries. It was packed at 3PM, and we got what appeared to be the only open spot. 
         
          Most of the seating is counter style, with this fun magnetic poetry board you can play with while you wait for your food. It definitely kept me entertained!

 
         We started with some poutine - duck fat fried fries topped with duck gravy, cheese curds, and a fried duck egg. This was just as indulgent as it looks!



           Going in I was deciding between the pork belly or duck confit panini, but when I saw the special I had to order it - lamb sausage with roasted red pepper, feta, cucumber, and mint. The bread was perfectly crisp, and the thin sliced sausage allowed for just the right balance with the toppings. I finished every bite, and was happy with my decision.
 

          The bf enjoyed his panini, ham and gruyere on rye with sourkrout, and whole grain mustard; almost like a reuben.



          For dessert we had to try the duckfat fried doughnut holes with caramel and spicy chocolate sauce. I don't care how full you are, there is always a special place for dessert - especially when doughnuts are involved. Again, we cleaned our plates and both preferred the rich caramel.


           Portland has tons of great restaurants, but I would definitely go back to Duckfat on my next trip. It's the perfect casual lunch spot with a creative menu and affordable beer and wine list.

Duck Fat on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I love Duckfat. Next time you're in Portland you have to try Holy Donut...it is life-changing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poutine looks fantastic! Thank you for the review, I will have to pop in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing and if you have room, you should definitely try the donuts for dessert!

      Delete
  3. The donuts and caramel sauce look and sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete