Friday, September 21, 2012

WGBH Artisan Tasting Part 2: The Food and Wine

         I recently attended the WGBH Food and Wine Festival. Although it was their first time putting on the event, it seemed only natural considering WGBH was the original food network (Julia Child’s show The French Chef was the first in its genre).

       The festival took place over three days, with an opening gala and reception the first night (Thursday), a wine auction Friday night, a farmers market all day Saturday, and two artisan tasting sessions Saturday afternoon and evening. Although local sustainable food was not a requirement to participate, the theme was definitely present throughout the festival.

        I had the opportunity to attend the Saturday evening Artisan Tasting, which included demonstrations by celebrity chefs (read my full review) and an exhibit hall filled with local restaurants, wine makers, food producers and purveyors, and more.


         I sampled so much great food and wine I couldn’t possibly list all of it, but here are some of the highlights.

          Wines from Diageo Estates: The Rose N Blum pink moscato and Creme de Lys Chardonnay were two of my favorites. 


          Braised meats from Savenor's Market included confit turkey leg cured in duck fat and BBQ beef brisket.




         Apple Eiswine - I had tried this wine before and loved it, but I was excited to learn that they also make a sparkling apple wine.


 Fresh made guacamole from Rosa Mexicano



Taza chocolate, I'd also tried this, but it's another local favorite.


          Another favorite was the roasted red pepper soup with caramelized onions from Upstairs on the Square. It was so good, I practically inhaled it, forgetting to snap a pic!

         I had a great time at the WGBH Food and Fest, and was impressed not only by the delicious food and wine, but also with both the organization and value compared to other festivals I've attended. I hope to attend again next time, and check out even more of the events!

No comments:

Post a Comment