Australian lamb is pasture-raised, grass fed, and free of artificial additives and hormone growth promotants—a pure product of its pure environment. I recently had the chance to try a whole leg, along with some great recipe ideas.
I used the crock pot recipe from True Aussie Lamb, but modified it to use the ingredients I had on hand. Here is what I did:
- Whole lamb leg
- 4 cups chicken stock (can use any kind of stock / broth)
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low heat for 12 hours
- Remove lamb from the bone and shred with a fork
- Cook rice, couscous, or other grain substituting broth from the crock pot in place of water
- Top with shredded lamb
This was delicious and made plenty of leftovers! I ate some of the shredded lamb plain for lunch the next day, and tossed it with gnocchi and goat cheese for another amazing dinner the following night.
If you want a chance to try True Aussie Lamb, Tremont 647 is hosting a special multi-course meal on Friday May 1st. Enter here for your chance to win a spot with a guest.