Thursday, July 24, 2014

Brunch at Boston Chops

          Last weekend I headed to the South End for brunch with the Boston Brunchers at Boston Chops. I'd been for dinner before and was excited to check out the brunch menu. In true brunchers fashion we started out with several apps to share including oysters, donuts, and sticky buns.

          When these came out, I was glad to see the portions weren't huge. There are so many places with brunch appetizers so big you can't eat your entree. I usually want to try several things but don't because I know the portions will be so large. These were perfect to share, and I absolutely loved both the donuts (more like churros) with chocolate sauce and sticky buns with caramel and pecans. Another personal favorite is when brunch menus include a raw bar. Boston Chops had a nice selection including Island Creek Oysters with a house made mignonette.






          Our server (a gastronomy student at BU) was extremely excited and knowledgeable about the menu. When she said the maple bourbon cocktail was a must try, I knew I had to get it. She was spot on, and it paired perfectly wih some of the entrees that came out later in the meal.


          I ordered the fried chicken, which came with two boneless tenderloins (all white meat) battered and deep fried. There were tiny buttermilk biscuits on the side, and the whole thing was topped with sawmill gravy, with some red pepper jam on the plate. The bourbon and maple was perfect with the fried chicken, as well as the bite of French toast I tried from another blogger (not pictured).


          Some of my fellow brunchers ordered the heuvos rancheros and the turkey sandwhich with bacon, mornay sauce, and a fried egg. Our server had described the sandwhich as the best turkey sandwhich she'd ever had, and the two who tried it said it was delicious and incredibly rich. They had trouble finishing. 
 



          Overall this was one of the best brunches I've had in awhile, from the food to the service and creative cocktails. I would definitely go back and try something new like the croque Monsieur or hash with beef tongue. Thanks to the Boston Brunchers and chops for hosting!

No comments:

Post a Comment