Sunday, February 23, 2014

Back Deck

          Earlier this week I had the opportunity to try Back Deck in the theater district. The atmosphere is casual, and meant to feel like a backyard style BBQ in the city. Most of the meats and veggies are cooked on a charcoal grill, which gives them a great smokey flavor. I've been trying to eat healthy lately, and appreciated how accommodating Back Deck was of all the special requests.

          I started with the creamy eggplant dip, made with smoked eggplant, garlic and cream cheese. They substituted celery and radicchio in place of the tortilla (the gluten free substitution), and I enjoyed this lighter version. I wouldn't have thought to pair eggplant and cream cheese, but it worked. 

s

          For my main course, I tried the pork chop porterhouse with pickled red cabbage and gumbo greens instead of polenta. The pork was grilled to perfection and had a slightly sweet flavor from the balsamic glaze. The greens were delicious and cooked with a bit of bacon and chorizo.

.
           In addition to the food, the service was friendly and attentive. Back Deck's location right around the corner from the Opera House makes it a great pre-theater dining option, and I would definitely come back in again before a show!

 Back Deck on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment