Saturday, April 28, 2012

04.28.2012 Final Update to the $33 Challenge

          After one full week, I called it quits and went grocery shopping. I was missing protein, and getting tired of the frozen and processed foods. During the week, I cooked 12 meals, which averaged to $2.75 per meal. I ate several meals at friends’ houses, and went out for a couple of dinners but only spent a total of $40 at restaurants / bars.

          Since the tacos I posted about earlier this week, most of my meals included leftovers and more of the same. I did come up with two creative and tasty dinners similar to meals I’ve previously posted: mac and cheese and turkey meatball and tortellini soup.

Truffle Mac and Cheese with Chicken Sausage:

1. Prepare a box of Annie’s shells and white cheddar according to the directions
2. Brown two pieces of chicken apple sausage
3. Mix sausage into the mac and cheese
4. Stir in truffle salt to taste
5. Pour into a casserole dish, sprinkle parmesan cheese and bread crumbs on top
6. Bake for 20 minutes



Curried Turkey Meatball and Tortellini Soup:

1. Heat a package of chicken broth and 12 turkey meatballs over medium heat (covered)
2. Cook tortellini according to instructions
3. Stir in curry powder to taste
4. Add tortellini to broth and meatballs


          The challenge didn’t go quite as well as I’d hoped, but I think I was a little unrealistic about the sustainability and number of meals I'd get out of this. I did, however, come up with a few good recipes and prove to myself I could eat for less than $75 in a week. A huge improvement from the days when I ate out three meals a day and went to places like L’Espalier on a whim… progress takes baby steps and in the past year, I’ve come a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment