Thursday, January 5, 2012

Product Review: Trader Joe's Wild Pacific Salmon (Cooked)




Whoever coined the phrase “Good, fast, cheap - pick two) obviously never shopped at Trader Joe’s! The meal I just prepared featuring the precooked, wild pacific salmon took ten minutes, cost about ten dollars (for 2-3 servings), tasted great, and came to only 400 calories per serving.

            Besides the salmon, the dish included instant basmati rice, frozen asparagus spears, and soy sauce and making it was this simple:

  1. Start defrosting the asparagus in the microwave for two minutes
  2. Heat up salmon in a frying pan on medium-high
  3. Remove asparagus and microwave instant rice for 90 seconds
  4. Chop asparagus
  5. Add asparagus and rice in the pan
  6. Toss with soy sauce and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes

The end result was a delicious and healthy salmon stir-fry. Like any frozen or instant food, it wasn’t as good as if it was fresh but it was pretty tasty. The salmon was slightly drier than I would have liked, but I didn’t follow the cooking instructions and can’t be sure if it was the salmon or if I overcooked it. If I had the time I would probably do everything fresh, but on a night after work and the gym when I’m too hungry to wait it’s a great meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment