Friday, March 13, 2015

Backyard Farms Tomato Talk and Tasting

          I recently had the opportunity to attend a dinner hosted by Backyard Farms, the largest grower of year-round tomatoes in New England.

          Backyard Farms recently announced the addition of the Somerset Pink to its family of tomatoes. The Somerset Pink is a rare breed that requires extra care and attention. The Somerset Pink is a full-flavored beefsteak tomato that is known for its delicate balance of sweetness and acidity. During the dinner, I had the chance to sample the Somerset Pink alongside a traditional beefsteak tomato and could definitely taste the difference!

          We tried the them as part of a simple tomato, basil, and mozzarella salad and grilled on a panini with goat cheese. Both dishes were amazing! Both were paired with a great red wine from Cellar Door, which is a winery also located in Maine.


            At the end of the night I received a great gift bag with tons of tomatoes to take home. I used mine to make a variety of salads to bring to work each day, but my favorite was this crab and avocado stuffed tomato below.


          I tossed crab meat with some chopped celery, cilantro, and chives and dressed it with a bit of lime juice and grape seed oil. I then hollowed out the center of the tomato and filled it with crab and diced avocado. I did this all in the kitchen at the office, and my lunch definitely got some attention that day!

           The Backyard Farms Somerset Pink is currently available at select Maine and New Hampshire Hannaford stores, with plans to expand. I hope they make it into MA area stores sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment