Saturday, August 3, 2013

Chocolate Therapy

          I recently got to check out Chocolate Therapy in Framingham as part of a chocolate making class with the Boston Brunchers.  The Framingham location opened this past December, but there is also a Dedham store which has been open for about two years.




          When I walked in, I was greeted by the smell of delicious fresh baked chocolate...and owners Pam and David, who were so friendly and nice.

          Once everyone had arrived we headed to the private room for an overview of the night, and tasting. We learned this room was where they also hold children's birthday parties (I would have LOVED something like that when I was a kid)!



          We started with the basics and learned the proper way to taste chocolate: hold it between the roof of your mouth and let it melt slowly. Next we experienced first hand, the difference between good and not-so-good chocolate. The good stuff (made in house of course) was smooth and rich, the alternative (store bought) tasted sugary, grainy, and artificial. 

          Next, Rick the Chocolate Maker talked to us about the shop while leading us through a chocolate tasting. I was impressed not only by how good the chocolates were, but by the fact that many of them contain therapeutic ingredients (hence the name chocolate therapy).

 Our Chocolate Therapy flight included:
  • Chocolate Fix: The signature 63% dark chocolate truffle with nibs on top. Designed to get release of ganache and shell in every bite. 
  • The Cure: Dark chocolate with cayenne, cinnamon, and bay leaf. The cayenne gave it just a hint of spice on the finish.
  • Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel: Tahitian vanilla, sea salt, and a hint of pink Himalayan salt. This was my favorite, and I could see why it's the number one seller!
  • Pon Balm: Dark chocolate truffle with pomegranate
  • Buzz Mallow: Another of my favorites, this included housemade marshmallow, raw honey and bee pollen
          Next we watched Rick demonstrate how he makes the Chocolate Fix truffle (with a little of assistance).




          After the demonstration we were able to try making chocolate ourselves. Our "Brunchers Bark" included cherries, pecans, lemon, and lots of other great toppings!




          The best part was the end where we got to sample everything we made, and pack up the rest to take home!

           I had a great time at Chocolate Therapy, and definitely plan to return the next time I need a chocolate fix. I can't wait to check them out in October once they have their beer and wine license and try some chocolate and wine pairings!

Chocolate Therapy on Urbanspoon  

*I attended this event as part of the Boston Brunchers free of charge but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment