Sunday, August 25, 2013

Book Review: It's All About the Guest

          I was recently sent an advanced reading copy of Steve DiPhillipo's book: It’s All About the Guest: Exceeding Expectations in Business and in Life, the Davio’s Way. Steve DiFillipo is Chef / Owner of Davio's Northern Italian Steakhouse, an upscale restaurant group that started in Boston and has expanded to Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and New York. He also founded Avila, a modern Mediterranean restaurant in Boston's park plaza, and a line of frozen Davio's products sold in grocery stores in 40 states.


          I was excited to check out this book, since I used to dine regularly at the Foxboro location when I lived in the area. Although I've not been to the flagship location in Boston, reading this book made me want to go ASAP!

          What I liked about this book, was that it was a business book that reads more like a memoir. Each chapter focuses on lessons learned from personal anecdotes, with a story first and key points summarizing the lesson at the end of the chapter. I was surprised by the honesty in some of the stories Steve chose to share; he was very open about his mistakes including failed expansion efforts into Cambridge and Brookline, and misunderstandings that led to legal trouble. I appreciated the inclusion of these stories, without them it would be harder to relate or truly understand how the Davios brand became what it is today.

          Some of the stories were also very colorful (like what can go on in a restaurant after hours), which definitely keeps the reader entertained!

          The Davios recipes spread throughout the book were also a nice touch, and I'd definitely like to try some of them out.

          This book is great for anyone working in the restaurant industry, interested in starting a business, or just passionate about food. I would recommend it for both the entertainment and educational value! Get your copy here to have it shipped to you on October 15.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting. I'll have to add it to my list! I only briefly worked in restaurants but it always interests me like Kitchen Confidential and Heat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely an entertaining read! Quick, but some great takeaway points!

    ReplyDelete