Saturday, January 19, 2013

Puritan and Company

          Last night I tried one of Inman Square's newest additions, Chef Wil Gilson's restaurant Puritan and Company. My friend and I had a fantastic experience, and though I tried many items on the menu there were even more I can't wait to go back and try!

          I started with the bone marrow gratin, which came baked with slices of duck fat brioche. The only way to describe this is pure decadence! I loved the flavor of the bone marrow, and the thick pieces of toasted brioche were the perfect accompaniment.


          The scallop crudo looked amazing and my friend really enjoyed hers. It was one of the lighter alternatives on the menu, and done beautifully!


          Next was the frisee salad, which included bits of seared foie gras, bits of duck cracklin, and a sunny side up egg on top of a homemade johnny cake. I loved this just as much as the bone marrow, and again, decadent is the only way to describe it!


          My friend also enjoyed her broccoli salad, it was the most impressive broccoli preparation I've ever seen.


          For my main course I tried the wagyu steak with pommes ana and "boiled vegetable dinner". The steak was done perfectly and topped with an egg sauce, which added a great flavor.


          My friend opted for the grilled cobia with escarole and peas porridge. Neither of us had heard of cobia before; it was a meaty white fish similar to swordfish.


          Even though I was stuffed, I had to try the cookie dough sundae! It was everything I hoped it would be, a chunk of chocolate cookie dough covered in chocolate, served in a plate of vanilla ice cream. This was one of the best desserts I've had in a long time!


          It's rare that I can say I truly loved everything I tried at a restaurant and would order it all again, but this is how I felt about Puritan and Company. If there weren't so many additional menu items I want to try, I would go back and order the same thing all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment