Sunday, September 9, 2012

Wine Review: Alpha Estates 2009 Sauvignon Blanc

          It’s been a while since I’ve done a wine review, but I this bottle was so unique I had to write about it! I was out to dinner with some other bloggers at Island Creek Oyster and we decided to share a bottle of wine. We all liked Sauvignon Blanc and picked this bottle based on price (in the $40 range) thinking we had a pretty good idea of what we were getting. Wrong! This was unlike any Sauvignon Blanc any of us had ever tried.


       Sauvignon Blanc tends to be citrusy, and sometimes you can get a hint of grapefruit. This wine actually tasted like grapefruit, and the flavor was so pronounced I changed my order to go with the wine. I had been originally planning on my favorite the lobster roe noodles, but instead went with the smoked trout with walnut pesto, rye crisps, and naval orange which was a perfect pairing.

         We all thought this wine was interesting and unusual and were glad we tried it, but weren’t sure if we would order it again. It’s a perfect pairing with certain foods like the smoked trout, or I could see it with a ceviche with lots of citrus. However, it’s not the type of wine you’d order with dinner for a group hoping it will go with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment