Saturday, February 11, 2012

Island Creek Oyster


Island Creek Oyster is an oyster bar and seafood restaurant in the Hotel Commonwealth. They opened about two years ago in the same spot as another former seafood restaurant, and not being fond of the last place, I was reluctant to try Island Creek at first. However, after hearing several rave reviews and reading about their philosophy on their website (a collaboration of chefs, farmers, and diners) I decided to give it a shot. It did not disappoint, and I have been back several times since. I’ve tried a variety of different appetizers and oysters over a number of visits but I get the same entrée every time: the lobster roe noodles. I crave and dream about this dish on a regular basis, and anyone I’ve recommended it to has said the same thing.


During my most recent dinner at Island Creek, I was a bit disappointed to notice they had taken one of my favorite appetizers (the smoked trout) off of the menu. There were several others that looked good, and I ended up ordering a half dozen oysters to start. The selection changes daily and they offer a wide variety of east and west coast, but I chose mostly local east coast (Cape Cod, RI, etc.) and one Kumoto. They were all fresh and delicious, and the Kumoto was my favorite and the most expensive at $3.50 per oyster. 



Although tempted to order a new entrée, I opted for the lobster roe noodles. Consisting of roe infused fettuccine, chunks of braised short rib, grilled lobster, mushrooms, and cheese, it was just as good as I remembered. 


 
I usually order more substantial appetizers, but with just the oysters I had plenty of room to try dessert for the first time. I ordered the peppermint hot chocolate, but first asked the waiter if it was actually hot chocolate. He described it as more of a pudding, and when it came out it was served hot in a mug and the consistency was somewhere between hot chocolate and pudding. It was a rich dark chocolate with a lighter peppermint flavor and came with biscotti, chocolate chip cookies, heath bar, and marshmallows to dip. It was excellent, but after the noodles I was only able to finish half. 




My latest meal at Island Creek reaffirmed this as one of my new favorite places in Boston for seafood. The only negative I’ve found, is that it’s spot and seems to require reservations at least a few days in advance no matter the day or time.  


See my favorite dishes at this restaurant on Tasted Menu Island Creek Oyster Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment