Sunday, July 7, 2013

M3

           M3 (Short for Meat and three sides) in Davis Square has been on my list to try since they opened over a year ago. Craving fried chicken one night, the bf and I checked out the menus of several Southern-style Boston restaurants (have I mentioned how much I LOVE this trend??) and decided M3's several different variations (fried chicken, chicken and waffles, chicken and biscuits, and chicken fried steak) sounded the most promising! We got there early, around 5:30 on a Sunday, and walked right in (although there was a wait by the time we finished).

          We started with two of the chalkboard specials as appetizers, steamed mussels in white wine broth and the house made pickles of the day. The mussels were served with a spicy chorizo, and toasted, buttery bread. The pickles were delicious, and also had a little kick to them.



          For my main course, I ordered the fried chicken with sweet potato and fluff casserole, mac and cheese, a biscuit with apple butter, and collard greens. The portion was enormous!


          The chicken was fried crisp and well seasoned, the mac and cheese was thick and creamy, and the sweet potato casserole was like candy! I also loved the flavor of the apple butter with the biscuit, although I was barely able to eat more than a bite.

          I also tried a couple of bites of the bf's chicken fried steak, which was covered in rich country gravy.


          We were way too full for dessert, but I made a mental note to return for the fried fluffernutters!

          Overall I really enjoyed the meal at M3, and though there are several new southern style restaurants in Boston, this one stood out in that there weren't a lot of fusion dishes or unsusual twists. The cuisine was simple, authentic soul food done well.

M3 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment