Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Blackbird

          The first meal of my Chicago trip was the meal I almost missed because of a delayed flight. Thankfully I made it just in time for lunch at Blackbird, a James Beard award winning and one star Michelin restaurant. It was an excellent meal and a great beginning to the trip.


           I started with the cured fluke appetizer. The fish was sliced thin, wrapped around fresh vegetables, and the whole thing was sprinkled with sea salt. This was a really unique presentation, and I enjoyed the fresh clean flavors of the fish and vegetables.


          I also tasted the black cod pil pil. The cod was cured so that it produced what our server described as its own natural mayonnaise. It did taste like mayonnaise, but lighter and more natural. This was served with watermelon, tomatoes, and sun choke chips, which all complemented the fish perfectly.


           For my main course, I tried the short rib burger. This had a Korean twist with kimchee slaw, a sesame bun, and duck egg yolk. It was also topped with sharp cheddar and served medium rare. Normally I like my burgers a little more done, but I went with the house preparation and was glad that I did!


          The meal at Blackbird was an excellent, and a perfect beginning to the trip! I would love to go back and try them for dinner sometime, and hope that I get the chance next time I’m in Chicago.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I'll be at Blackbird this Friday for dinner to try the full tasting menu which looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear how that is! I wanted to try Blackbird for dinner, but had a limited amount of time and other places I wanted to try weren't open for lunch....

    ReplyDelete