Saturday, March 17, 2012

Butcher Shop

         I’m a big fan of steak and Barbara Lynch, so naturally the Butcher Shop in the South End is one of my favorite restaurants. Although steak is the specialty, this place has more of a wine bar feel and the menu is a little more diverse (and gourmet) than a typical steakhouse. They have a regular menu with 2-3 apps, entrees, and desserts, as well as a daily menu of specials and cuts of meat for the day.

         My most recent visit was during the Back Bay blackout. Just about every restaurant in the South End was packed, but I walked in and was able to grab a spot that had just opened up at the bar. I noticed that night’s menu included misty knoll chicken, which is some of the best chicken I’ve had and used by some of my other local favorite restaurants. Although the chicken was tempting, I went with the smallest steak (hanger) on the menu so I’d have plenty of room for apps and desserts.

          I started with the cauliflower bisque; it was served with chunks of ham hock and drizzled with white truffle oil. This was delicious, and perfect on a cold night. The flavors of the ham and truffle complemented each other and went well with the glass of nebbiolo I was drinking.


          Next was the hanger steak, with their signature A-9 sauce. This flavorful and juicy, cooked to a perfect medium and tasted great on its own or dipped in the sauce. The steaks come a la carte, but I also tried some of the fingerling potatoes. These were roasted simply with a little olive oil and sea salt and went really well with the steak.


         For dessert I shared some chocolate with mousse with some neighbors and fellow foodies also trying to escape the blackout. It was a small portion, but so rich that no one could eat more than a couple of bites. The mousse was more of a bittersweet dark chocolate and topped with a little whipped cream.


          This latest meal at the Butcher Shop was a great experience, like all of the meals I’ve had there in the past. It’ s a little more casual than some of Barbara Lynch’s other restaurants, but the food is up to the same standard. It’s the type of place you can go for a glass of wine and some apps, or a multi-course gourmet meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment